Need Drone Insurance for your Business or Farm? | Farrell Agencies

Need Drone Insurance for your Business or Farm?

Posted by Farrell Agencies on August 17, 2017

Using drones in your business or farm?  If the answer to this question is yes then you have a need for drone insurance because:

• most current commercial and farm insurance policies exclude aircraft losses and drones are considered an aircraft

• Transport Canada can levy fines up to $25,000 and/or jail time for not understanding and following the rules.

Transport Canada regulates the use of drones for public and airspace safety. Surveying, agriculture, inspection services, academic research, first responders and aerial photography and videography (including real estate) are cited by Transport Canada as various types of work that may be using drones. If you are flying a drone for payment or any other benefit or gain it is also considered flying for commercial/non-recreational purpose. Basically, if you are generating any income from your drone, using it for business or research purposes and/or it weighs more than 35 kilograms, you need a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) and a minimum $100,000 liability insurance. 

Next steps?

• Contact Transport Canada for your SFOC here.

• Contact Farrell Agencies for your drone insurance. 

Happy Flying!

Contact Us: 306-783-4477 or 1-800-268-3675

Spread the love

Leave a Reply


Farrell Agencies offers apps as a value-add service to its clients. Use this app to enhance your Auto & Property Insurance experience. If you haven\'t already, download our apps today. Get it on the App Store or Google Play Store.

\"\" \"\"

%d bloggers like this: